Egyptian Museum

The Egyptian government established the 'Service des Antiques de l' Egypte' in 1835 mainly to halt the plundering of archaeological sites and to arrange the exhibition of the collected artifacts owned by the government. The Azbakiah garden in Cairo was first used as a storage place for these artifacts. The collection was later transferred to another building in the Citadel. In 1858, a museum was prepared at Boulaq, its contents collected by the French archeologist August Mariette. In 1880, the contents of the Boulaq museum were transferred to an annex of the Giza palace of Ismail Pasha, the ruler of Egypt.

The present museum was built in 1900, in the neo-classical style by the French architect Marcel Dourgnon.

This museum exhibits over 120 000 objects. Some of the important groups of these objects are:


Part of the collection of the Museum


Copyright © 2005 Focusmm.com All Rights Reserved.