THE SOUTH AGORA (Miletus)


The North Gate was revealed during the first excavations. The top section of the gate was taken to Germany in 1908 and displayed in the Pergamon Museum (Berlin) today.

There were gates on 3 sides. It accomodated 78 shops. The south agora was the biggest market-place of ancient times.

It covered an area of 196 m x 164 m. and built during the Hellenistic age (3th century B.C.). The construction took 500 years to reach to its final form. The south Agora was reconstructed during the Roman age. North and southeast gates were renovated in monumental form.



Copyright © 2005 focusmm.com All Rights Reserved.